Q. WHAT IS CHURCH MEMBERSHIP?
A. Church Membership is a covenant relationship between individual Christians who share the same basic beliefs. These Christians take the step of church membership because they are deeply committed to:
- Supporting and encouraging one another as they grow spiritually
- Working together to share Christ with others
- Seeking together to bless their local area and the world for God’s glory
Q. IS CHURCH MEMBERSHIP BIBLICAL?
A. Yes. One-half of the New Testament is made up of letters that the Apostle Paul wrote to specific churches (i.e. groups of Christians in one locale who identified with and were committed to one another). In 1 Timothy, Paul wrote specifically about the qualifications of and instruction for church leaders (1 Timothy 3:1-13). Jesus referenced the local church several times and even detailed the circumstances in which an individual could be removed from membership (Matthew 18:15-17). If there was no such thing as church membership, none of this would make sense.
Q. WHY JOIN IF I’M ALREADY INVOLVED?
A. It’s true some are almost as involved as they would be if they were members. However, membership is more intentional and usually evokes a greater sense of ownership and commitment from both the church as well as the individual. When you “make it official” by becoming a member of Trinity Baptist Church, several things are available and are more likely to happen:
- The Sunday School class you choose assumes responsibility to care for you and your family.
- You receive help in developing a customized personal spiritual action plan.
- Assistance is available to help you find a meaningful place of service.
- Financial assistance is available for seasons of crises that are more substantial than those available for non-members.
Q. WHAT IS EXPECTED OF CHURCH MEMBERS?
A. There are six basic disciplines that we believe all healthy Christians practice as faithful members:
- Involvement in a Bible Fellowship
- Serving in a God-honoring manner
- Serving in a meaningful church ministry
- A commitment to invite others to Trinity Baptist Church
- A regular time of personal Bible study and prayer
- Tithing regularly to this body in support of her ministries.
Q. HOW DO I JOIN?
A. At the close of the worship service, you are invited to respond to the leadership of the Holy Spirit by coming forward. Our Pastors and trained counselors are available to help you. You may become a candidate by:
- Trusting Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, desiring New Testament baptism; or
- Having previously accepted Christ, desiring New Testament baptism; or
- Your statement of previous acceptance of Christ and previous New Testament baptism, or your letter from a sister church;
- Completion of the Discover Trinity membership class.
Q. WHAT IS REQUIRED FOR CHURCH MEMBERSHIP?
A. First, all members must have a personal relationship with God by accepting Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Next, all prospective members must have been or be willing to submit to Believer’s Baptism. Believer’s Baptism is defined as baptism that takes place after salvation to symbolize what God has already done in the believer’s life. Trinity Baptist believes that baptism should be by immersion.
Finally, all prospective members must attend the Discover Trinity membership class. Discover Trinity is an orientation specifically designed to help connect you to Trinity Baptist Church. If you’ve been visiting and want to learn more about Trinity, how to get more connected, and church membership, Discover Trinity is the next step you need to take.
During the gathering, you’ll get a chance to meet your pastors and learn about what kind of church we are. You will also be able to ask any questions you might have, such as, “What does it mean to be a Christ follower?” “How can I be baptized?” “How can I serve at the church?” or “How do I connect to a Sunday School class?”